Tuesday, September 18, 2012

LET'S MAKE A DEAL & A FEW QUICK MESSAGES


FEW UPDATES

CRAFT ARTICLE COMING

I promised to put up my quick craft article soon.  Stay tuned. It started out as a way to support a client who got a nasty set of notes from another reader, but it became partially a small pitch into how I approach things as a consultant.  However, if you have EVER received bad, mean or discouraging notes, you will definitely dig it. 


TAOS MOVED TO NEW ORLEANS

Our week-long retreat is definitely on but it's going to be in New Orleans instead. I dropped the price and there are some discounts and deadline incentives.  Also, get in touch if you are interested in a no-frills version where your script gets less attention.

 

CREATIVITY IN DEAL MAKING: PART DEUX

<<Cutting to the chase.  The economy sucks.  This business is tough. I just found 3000 hours to direct a movie over the past 18 months for a salary less than I charge for Script Coaching, so I get it.  ;-)>>


I wrote that last year as part of a post that invited writers to get creative in proposing barter or other swaps which would allow us to work together. It was productive. I got a Telecaster that I gave to my step-son, mini-vacation in a time-share, gift card to Zingermann's in Ann Arbor and I came up with some creative payment plans for a few people.

The economy still sucks and as long as I have room in my classes, I have no problem with being Monty Hall and I can even explain the Monty Hall problem in class, if you want.  Let's make a deal.
 
I re-canvassed  parents, step-kids, wife and dog to come up with an official list of acceptable barter. Remember, I don't judge. Employee discount, Regifting, Non-rounded off balances... It's all good.

Gift Cards:  Best Buy, Barnes and Noble, Amazon, Delis (Canters, Juniors, Jerrys, Katz's), Lowes/Home Depot (up to a point...let's not create more work), Chipotle, Kohls, Airline Travel, Apple Store, Verizon, Petsmart, Steak Houses, Melting Pot, Massage Envy

Other: Frequent Flyer Miles, Airfare vouchers,  Time Shares (Paris, Italy, Vegas, London, and planning on class in New Zealand or Australia), NFL tix (Steelers, Eagles or Redskins...does Stub Hub have gift cards?), Hosted Travel in Italy for parents, WSOP staking ;-), Be Creative!

Services: SEO, Final Cut Pro Editing, design and am open to other ideas including three-way swaps. (Ted gives Fred Accounting Help, Fred gives Jim double-barter on whatever, Fred and Ted both get long-term script coaching.) Marketing, E-Commerce, etc...

Let's Make a Deal!

Peace,
 Jim
Email address is Jim (at) (Remove this sentence.)jamespmercurio(dot)com

No comments:

Post a Comment